Monday, April 9, 2012

Ketchup (Catch Up)

Well, dang it, I've once again let time slip away without updating this thing. My apologies. I have so many thoughts running in my head all the time, and so I have a dozen things to write about, but for now I'll do a few catch up (ketchup) posts with pictures, and work on all the deep thought posts as I find the time. (Cause you know, I'm a really, really deep thought-type person, right?) 

 Anyway.... One thing that's been new is the program at the U of U that we've joined called U-FIT. It's a 7-week program that is for kids with disabilities and their siblings. I heard about it and the cost was amazingly reasonable for the services, especially compared to other programs for kids with autism and other conditions. So what the heck, I decided to try it out, and it's been one of the most positive experiences we've had, in my opinion! It was SO worth it! 

 Basically, the kids get to spend one-on-one time with a volunteer (college students) on Friday nights from 6-8 pm for the 7 weeks. One of the two hours each night is spent in the pool swimming and playing in the water. This is a BIG deal for my kids: while Munchkin loves the water, she isn't very confident in it and has had a hard time with swimming lessons because of her lack of confidence. Buddy Boy, on the other hand, is scared TO DEATH of the water, and HATES getting his head wet. Washing his hair in the bath is a battle every time, and it's miserable. 

 The other hour can be spent with the volunteer doing different things: playing games in the gym (like soccer, bowling, frisbee, parachutes, etc), playing XBox, arts/crafts, and dancing. They are free to do any or all of the different activities going on. 

 Meanwhile, parents get a break. There is a room specifically designated for reading/relaxing, and there are yoga, spin, and pilates classes provided. They are considering offering a Zumba class next time!


Over the last 6 weeks, I've seen both kids grow SO much more comfortable in the water, and that alone has made it worth it! The pool has definitely been the highlight for both kids, and it's awesome to watch.




















The other thing that makes this program amazing is 
the volunteers. We just happened to get paired up with two of the very best! Munchkin absolutely adores her new friend, and they have a blast with their games, girl talk, etc. Those of you who know Munchkin well, know how much she loves her girl talk.











Buddy Boy's volunteer has been so patient, so kind with him. Buddy Boy calls him his "Brother Buddy". A couple weeks ago, I was walking around with him and his volunteer, and we were talking about gender. I was asking him, "Is Mom a boy? Is Logan (a kid from school) a boy?" and such. I asked about the volunteer: "Is Chris a boy?" Buddy Boy replied, "NO!!! He's a brother!" It was awesome.



Anyway, there have been memories made that will last a lifetime, and I'd highly recommend the U-FIT program to anyone who might want a fun activity for their child(ren) to do! You can go here to learn more about the program. I'm gonna cry my eyes out when it ends this weekend, but we'll definitely be back next semester!!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great activity!!! Glad to hear you all were successful and enjoyed swimming. Love, Aunt Linda

Andrea K. H. Agüin said...

This looks so awesome! We totally need to look into it! Thank You for sharing. And I think you're really cool too, even though sometimes you swear Lol!

This is Us! said...

Ha ha, thanks Andrea!