Friday, January 9, 2009

No Resolutions

I have thought and thought about New Year's resolutions, and I just am not feeling it.

I'm not sure, but I think the technical definition of a resolution is changing, or fixing something that you're doing wrong...maybe I'm totally wrong, but that's always how I imagined them. I think I'm doing some good things with my life though, and I'd like to add to them, but not necessarily change them. Does that make any sense?

Anywho, I've talked with the kids and hubby about setting goals, and we've set a bunch for the family for the year. My daughter cracks me up with her ideas, but I put them all down anyway, and we'll see what we can do....

Mom's goals:
- Plan and grow a much bigger garden for canning - oh yeah!
- Build shelves in the playroom (Dad was so nice, he did this before 2008 even ended!)
- Buy more rechargeable batteries. Lame? Nope, it will save us so much battery money. - Still haven't done this either
- Improve guitar playing - like, learn 4 new chords or something - nada, I think I forgot the 3 I already knew.
- Make DVD out of kids' baby videos - man, I suck!

Dad's goals:
- Build new shelves in playroom (as mentioned above, it's done, yippee!)
- Learn more about Autism - yeah

Munchkin's goals (from her own mouth):
- Fix the swing set - done!
- Take a vacation, maybe to Italy - does Paris, ID count? YES
- Learn how to sew - a little, still working on it (see, Mom isn't all that great of a teacher)
- Get green tickets every day at school until she's 16 - well, she did until the school stopped offering green tickets!

Buddy Boy's goals (with help from mom and sis):
- Learn to say or sign more words for more effective communication - yes!!!
- Learn to do ring around the rosy - nope, not interested

Family Goals:
- Paint most of the interior of the house
- Get Munchkin signed up for at least one extracurricular activity - (done after school programs, soccer)
- Get Buddy Boy signed up for the one-on-one early intervention play class - done!
- Teach Munchkin more life skills (give her her own garden box, take her to the bank to deposit her allowance, etc) - did a garden box, deposits $$ every 3 months
- Teach Buddy Boy more life skills (helping Mom clean, showing him to pull weeds and not flowers, etc)- hmm...working on it still

The geek that I am, I've got it all printed up, along with baby steps to get there.

8 comments:

RaeLynn said...

I love this approach. Less pressure! And these are all really good things to work on. I need to print mine up, too.

Findlay Family said...

Way to go!!! I wish I was more ambitious like you. I also have thought about resolutions....lets leave it right there I have Thought about it!!!

nM said...

These are great goals. May you be resolute in pursuing them. May all the challenges you face reach resolution. It appears that your family has worked together and agreed to a resolution. Hopefully you can capture your successes on your digital camera and its 8 megapixel resolution.

Carissa J said...

That's awesome. I normally don't make New Year Resoluations but this year I did. Your goals are great. They are specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and trackable; everything a goal should be!

FAB SIX said...

I need to sit down and decide my goals for 2009. I haven't even taken a moment to do that yet and now it is 14 days into the New Year. LOL

I love your ideas :)

zeebee said...

Great goals! I havn't been feelin' it either. I love the idea of having goals for the kids too! I might steal it if you don't mind. Maybe one of these days I will figure out what I want to do.

This is Us! said...

RaeLynn, could you get your brother in line?? I specifically said NO resolutions!:-)

nM said...

Her leash isn't long enough.