First of all, he's now actually playing on the playground. I know that sounds silly, but here's the deal. Every day when I pick Munchkin up from school, if it's good weather, we stay for 10-15 minutes to play on the playground. Buddy Boy has always been content to be there, and he'd climb up the stairs to one spot and then sit there, watching the kids run around. He was content to watch, but never wanted to do more than that. It sure made it easy to watch him, but inside my heart broke because I wish he felt comfortable interacting. In fact, if any other child ever tried to interact with him, he'd get upset and we'd have to go home early. Now he's going down the slides, running around on the grass, and just plain having more fun!


He's also been more affectionate with us. Don't get me wrong, he always loved us and let us know, but lately he's grabbing my hands and putting them to his face, or putting his hands on my face and pulling me in for a kiss. I absolutely melt every time, and he's figured it out. If he wants something, he'll now pull me in for a kiss, or stroke my cheek, then sign "more" letting me know he wants something. Well, I'm butter by then, so he usually gets what he's after. So he's learned to manipulate his pathetic mother!:-)


Also, when he was first diagnosed, he was put on a waiting list for a "structured play therapy" one-on-one with an adult. The wait finally ended (thank heavens, since he won't qualify for services when he's three!), and he's begun. The first therapy was Wednesday and he screamed and cried the whole time. I wasn't surprised, since his mom wasn't there with him, and there were strangers touching him and holding him. However, Dad and I both feel really good about it, and we know he'll improve with time. This is a great chance for him to learn to socialize, and to get some more intense sensory therapy. Honestly, Munchkin and I wanted to kick him out and play in the room! It's really a huge, cool, indoor playground that he does the sensory therapy in.
And last but not least, he's really enjoying the warm weather and the outings provided. He's just happier in general being outside!
7 comments:
That really is huge progress. It makes me want to cry because I know how happy it makes a mama to see small and simple things that will just make your sweet babies life better. Hope he continues to improve!
I'm so glad the wait is over! Its encouraging to hear about his progress. It can only get better, right? Hurray!
That's awesome! I love those pictures of you and Parker together. He is a cutie! I'd melt too!!!
Yeah, in the second picture of me looking at him, is it obvious how in love I am or what?
that is great news evelyn. loved the posts and pictures :)
Wow, thanks for the update, he is going so great!! And that is wonderful that he is in the therapy now. I think that he is just going to improve so much more in the coming months. I absolutely adore those pictures of the two of you. Way to go Parker!
I am so excited for you. Parker is such a sweet little boy. I never met him but I can see his sweet spirit in his pics.
Post a Comment