Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Grandpa Findlay

Yesterday I was fortunate to be able to drive up to Idaho to visit my grandpa in the hospital. The weather was good for the drive, and I had forgotten how beautiful the canyon is with snow!


Anyway, he's not doing too well. We all have known this day was coming, but it's still emotional seeing him so weak. He was crying out for his sweet wife Monday night, Dr. Wolf said. He's pretty much out of it most the time. He would wake up when he was uncomfortable and try to let us know what he needed, then he'd fall right back asleep. His breathing is labored. We would give him water to help, but a lot of the time he would choke on it. He requested a cough drop at one point, but of course we couldn't give him one for fear of choking. He was hard to understand, but we understood enough, I think.


He had a LOT of visitors. It's easy to believe he touched so many lives, but to see SO many coming out to show support and getting emotional was very touching. Every person who came to visit told us the same thing: "He was so good to me; so good to my family." And I don't doubt it. Grandpa is that kind of guy. He's good to everyone, and really knows what it means to serve. Okay, there is one aspect of service he's not great at...receiving service and help! Even now he's still being stubborn and not wanting pain meds and things. He doesn't want anyone inconvenienced on his account, and that's why one thing that happened meant so much to me.

At one point he woke up and we could see he was uncomfortable but couldn't understand what he was saying. I picked up the word "massage" and my mom picked up that his feet were bothering him. We asked him if he would like his feet massaged and he said yes. This might sound silly, but that moment of taking my dear grandpa's foot, rubbing lotion on it and massaging it in meant SO much to me. Such a small act of service, but it was a very special, tender moment. I couldn't help but think of Christ washing his disciples' feet. It was a small, simple gesture, and yet it meant so much more. The ultimate show of respect, honor, and love. And my grandpa allowed me to do something similar for him. I'll never forget that sweet moment....never.

Well, now I'm emotional, so I'll stop. Kind of a long ramble post, and I apologize. I love my grandpa so much, and I can only imagine the beautiful reunion he will have soon with so many loved ones.

*Grandpa passed away at about 7:15 pm Wednesday evening. We love you, Grandpa!

4 comments:

Jennie said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

RaeLynn said...

Thank you for sharing this post. I'm sure it was difficult for you. And what a neat experience it must have been to share that moment with your Grandpa. I'm glad to hear that he's out of pain. My heart goes out to you and Mae and the rest of the family.

Ang said...

He sounds like such a special man. I know he will be missed.

kendall and kirsti said...

Thanks for sharing! It's so good to hear that other family members were able to spend time with him in the hospital. It's also good to hear of last moments spent. Thanks! Love you!