Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Best Act of Service

Today, I want to spend a little time sharing a story of service.  Real, true, meaningful service that changed my life. 

Before I get into the story, I want to let you know about a wonderful, heartwarming giveaway that is going on...it's called a "Pay it Forward" giveaway!  An old friend of mine is hosting it over HERE, and it's awesome.  All she's asking is that you think about a time you received service and then share it.  That's all you gotta do to enter!

I think a lot of us think that we can't change the world, we can't make a difference, we can't "pay it forward"...because we feel we're not qualified to do so, don't have enough time or money, or just plain aren't good enough.

IT'S NOT TRUE!!!

You can serve and make a difference with what you have, and if you sincerely give what you have, it's the biggest gift one could receive.  With that said, here's my story:

As many of you know, my son has been diagnosed with an ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder).  He was diagnosed almost 2 years ago.  The day we found out he may have Autism was the day of my 8-year anniversary. 
I hate admitting this, but for the first week or so after being told of his condition, I mourned.  I was told, "Remember, your son is still the same person.  Nothing has changed except that we now have a name for what is going on.  He's STILL YOUR SON."


It didn't feel that way.  I felt that I had lost my son.  I mourned for the child I had lost.  I mourned for the future I was convinced he wouldn't have.  I'm sure many parents who have experienced this know what I'm talking about. 

Anyway, I spent WAY more time being a wreck than I should have.  One day in particular, 6 days after the diagnosis to be exact, I spent the whole day crying and napping.  I'd cry for an hour, nap for an hour, and do it all over again.  At around 3:00 in the afternoon, I awoke from a nap to see my then 5 year old daughter sitting on the bed, watching me.  I was so drained, I didn't even care.  I just started crying again.

Here's where it gets good.

That 5 year old girl, my sweet little Munchkin, lifted my head up and laid it on her lap.  She began stroking my hair and humming.  Once my blubbering had quieted down, she leaned down, kissed me on the forehead, and said "Just lay your head on me mommy.  Everything's going to be okay, I'm here."

Can I express what that meant to me?  I cannot.  Just typing this makes me emotional.  My 5-year old child changed me that day.  She gave what she could, and she gave it with the truest sincerity of her heart.  She gave me hope for a better tomorrow.  She reminded me that I needed to start living again, because yes, everything WAS going to be all right.  With that simple 30 second act of service, my daughter changed my life.

1 comment:

zeebee said...

You made me cry that story was so sweet! You have such an angel daughter. I knew if from the start of my time in Primary.