I am EXTREMELY hurt and disappointed that SB55 did not even come close to passing. This bill was meant to mandate health insurance coverage for kids with autism in the state of Utah. You know, autism, the health condition that has been PROVEN to have a high success rate of being treated with certain therapies? You know, the condition that Utah has the HIGHEST RATE OF IN THE NATION?
Insurance lobbyists say that it'll hike up everyone's insurance rates to unbelievable heights. INSURANCE LOBBYISTS, people!!!
I'm pretty sure I don't need to go into the details of why I, and millions of other Americans, are 100% convinced of the evils of insurance lobbyists. (and if I do, please let me know, and I'll gladly do it!) Of course, all the lobbyists are doing is using scare tactics.
Did you know that we (the supporters of health insurance coverage for our kids, since they are people too) have data from MANY of the other 32 states that have insurance coverage showing that insurance rates will NOT skyrocket? The average cost? Oh, you might look at a 32 cents per member per month raise.
OH NO...32 WHOLE CENTS A MONTH??? Just so some measly 18,500+ kids can have insurance? NO WAY!! I'm not paying that! Especially when autism isn't a real condition!! (Didn't you know? Kids with autism are simply brats who aren't disciplined. Their cold-hearted mothers gave them the "condition). Why, that's highway robbery! Who do these autism parents think they are? Just more liberals looking for a handout, right? (And yes, I've been called just that by some)
I mean, after all, I MUST be looking for a handout... I only work a part time job while the kids are at school and also take on as many odd jobs a month as I can to make a little extra money. I only drive my son over 1,300 miles each month just to get him to and from his special needs school. I don't even GET my son treatment...obviously I don't need it! (Or is it that I feel I can't make the choice to send him to therapy if the cost will cause me to lose my home?)
I am, by that description, nothing but a lazy liberal...looking for a handout. Unwilling to work to provide for my family, but more than happy to sit on my behind doing nothing and expecting assistance from the government. Right?
To see video of our family's reaction to the bill not passing, go here:
You know what? As ticked off as I am now, it's really truly going to be okay. You know why? Because this lazy liberal mother is going to continue to educate herself on any/all treatments that can be done at home. Because this asking-for-a-handout family is going to continue to make any/all sacrifices we can to provide each other with opportunities for growth and improvement. Because I will continue looking for a 2nd and 3rd job that I can work around our family schedule (because I ain't sending my kids to daycare) so that we can afford to care for our son and our daughter. It will be okay because I will NEVER stop being an advocate for my son...and not just a political advocate. I will never stop being his mother.
Believe me. I will NEVER sit on my behind waiting for a "handout". I will spend every waking hour working, striving, and providing.
2 comments:
it's just completely unbelievable! I'm so sorry! Idaho has great programs and help for autistic parents and kids - we have many families who will never leave here because they are well taken care of. We wouldn't mind having you as neighbors! ;)
Thanks Ang! Maybe I can convince my husband that we need to move to Idaho!
Post a Comment