Of course, September tends to be a transition for most families, as kids start school, so I know we're not unique in that. I'm still gonna share our new schedule, cause hey, it's a big deal to me!
I got a new job in September, and that has been an ADJUSTMENT. Munchkin started school, joined the after school program for 3 days, and is also enjoying a SIBS of Autism program on Fridays. Buddy Boy started school and is adjusting well to riding the bus. We've had two fundraisers so far, one Walk to School Day complete with news interviews, a few PTA and Community Council meetings, one carnival to attend, a lunch date for the grown ups (talk about an adjustment...I don't know the last time we did a date!), etc, etc. Life as we know it. September was also the first full month of me eating gluten-free, and although I can feel the difference, it still sucks!
Okay, so...new job:
- I started a part-time job working as a Para Educator for 6th grade students at a local elementary school. Wish is was the school Munchkin was at, but alas, it's not. My very first day involved saving a student from another student attacking them with a chair, a wrestling match with a substitute teacher and a student, the police being called in, the substitute being hauled off for touching the student, and me being put in charge of the entire class while we waited for a new sub. I won't lie, I was tempted to quit right then. Thankfully, the 8 days since then have been much more calm, although there were also incidents involving students trying to stab each other, graphic pictures drawn by students being confiscated, and lots of cussing by kids. One highlight of the new job is running into a teacher who I recognized...because she was MY teacher from FIRST GRADE!!! That was pretty flippin' cool!
Munchkin stuff:
- Munchkin signed up for a "Glee for Me" after school class, a class introducing kids to the performing arts. The after school staff kept putting her in different classes, and so it took awhile to get it straightened out, and there were tears for the first two weeks. It eventually was fixed, and now she loves going to after school class! Last Friday she started attending a Sibs of Autism group, held at Buddy Boy's school. She has made a lot of friends, and we hope she'll enjoy the social time, the fun, and the opportunity to finally not be the only kid who has a brother with a disability. She's loving 3rd grade and her teacher is AWESOME.
Buddy Boy stuff:
- Buddy Boy has been working on being potty trained for a year now. He pees in the toilet, but has refused to sit on the toilet and poop We couldn't figure out why, since he had started potty training sitting. Turns out the school stopped having him sit, cause it was faster for them to have him stand. We expressed concern and asked for their help in having him sit on the toilet at school, to reinforce what he was doing at home. Because he never had a poopy accident at school, they weren't willing. So we were very, very proud of him when he had two huge poopy accidents at school, ha ha!!! And what a shocker, the next day his teachers contacted me letting me know that they agreed with me and that they would be helping to reinforce sitting on the toilet and trying to poop in it. Go Buddy Boy!! He's loving school and while playing he'll suddenly burst out into song, singing stuff from High School Musical, Justin Bieber, Plain White T's and Bruno Mars. I'm constantly hearing how cute it is. He has started saying "I'm so glad to see you!" every time time he gets off the bus.
Other stuff:
- I was put in charge of decorations for a Walk to School Day happening at Munchkin's school. Two local news stations came and the kids were all pretty excited about it. I've been involved with the PTA and Community Council. We went to the Sahara Cares Carnival for Autism on the 17th, and they did such a great job! Buddy Boy started having meltdowns about 2 hours into it though, so we had to leave early. It was fun while it lasted.
Gluten free:
- I thought that once I ate gluten free, I'd feel better. It's crazy, because although there is definite improvement in some areas, there are other issues that have not gotten one bit better. All the digestive troubles I've had for years are still here, except for the bloating. I'm SO glad to have that gone! My migraines have disappeared too. My stomach cramping has not gone away, but it's definitely a LOT less severe. Going out to eat is practically non existent for me now, but that's probably a good thing anyway.:-)
Clay stuff:
- So as to not leave Clay out, I'll be sure to share with you that there has not been much new going on with him. :-) He's been helping his mom "move", but that isn't even news, since it's been going on for a year! He's really excited for the new year to start so that he'll get an extra week of vacation at work. That'll be nice!




No comments:
Post a Comment