Monday, November 28, 2011

My Gratitude List

Throughout this month I've read hundreds of gratitude lists from friends.  I chose not to participate, because I didn't trust myself to remember every day, and quite honestly, because I didn't want to simply 'follow the crowd'.  I have, however, truly enjoyed reading so many thoughtful statuses, so many kind words, and feeling the feelings that were meant to accompany them.  I thank all of my FB friends and family who posted every day, because you really lifted my heart.




I'm not gifted in the way of words like some are (Yes you, Andrea Aquin and you, Kambree Miller).  I read the words of others; they are harmonious and melodious, they paint a picture, they tell a story, they speak to the heart.  You will not see that from me today, because that isn't something I'm good at, and that's okay.  You're just going to get a simple bullet-pointed list, because making lists, well, that's something I know how to do:


  • I'm thankful for my kids.  There is no greater gift in my life than the gift those kids are to me.  With every breath they take, they take my breath away.  Their thoughtfulness, their humility, their eagerness to learn, everything about them sets me in awe.
  • I am thankful for those around me who love my kids.  When aunts and uncles and cousins and friends treat my children with respect and admiration, I see it and my heart soars.  Thank you, thank you, thank you, for loving my kids. 
  • Last Sunday I was (and still am) thankful for a positive strep throat culture.  Oh, the relief of knowing I was not going to be sent home without antibiotics!  It was a big deal.
  • I am thankful to see Buddy Boy learning to read.  We were still working on him writing letters correctly, but he decided it was time to move on and just started.  It's so exciting to see his progress.
  • I am thankful that Munchkin is such an amazing student.  I certainly never had all 98% and above in every school subject.  She's not only smart, but she's well behaved, and I've only heard RAVES about her as a student.
  • I am thankful for good, kind, loving, and dedicated teachers (Ahem, Shelly Prettyman).  The difference in my children when they have a teacher who cares vs. a teacher who is simply working for a paycheck is HUGE.  We've been so blessed to have good teachers 80% of the time.
  • I am grateful for the opportunities I've had in the last few months to be involved with a couple of church productions.  No big parts, mind you, but no matter the role, the spirit is there, and it's very uplifting.
  • I am thankful for so many good people surrounding us.  From the neighbor who always leaves goodies on my porch when I'm down to the neighbor who invites Munchkin over to play to the friend who gave Buddy Boy an iPad....how can we NOT be grateful?
  • I am thankful for good music.  For the Jack Johnson's out there to provide me music when I need to just enjoy the mellow, relaxing waves of life.  For the many Christian artists whose music uplifts me when I need it.  For the APPROPRIATE teeny bop music I can feel okay with my daughter listening to.  For the stuff that makes me wanna move, for the sounds that motivate and challenge me, and for those that soothe and inspire me.  I'm grateful to be a lover of music.
  • I am thankful to have discovered how wonderfully soothing herbal chamomile tea is on a sore throat.
  • I am thankful that Buddy Boy's trip and stay at the hospital did not lead to surgery as initially thought, and that he's already completely recovered.
  • I am thankful for family in general.  I am thankful to have a home to live in.  I am thankful that my husband has a stable job with good insurance.  I am thankful for the gospel.  I am thankful for my Heavenly Father and Savior, Jesus Christ.


And many, many more, but I'll leave it at that.  Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: