Sunday, November 6, 2011

Temple Grandin and Autism

Thursday I took a day off work and went to Buddy Boy's school to meet a very special someone...named Temple Grandin.

Before you say "Who's Temple Grandin?" (because that just might tick me off), let me tell you a little about her.

Temple Grandin has Autism.

She is the author of at least half a dozen books, her most recent one being "The Way I See It"


She is the subject of a recent movie, Temple Grandin - The HBO Movie, 

which just happened to win a bunch of  Emmy awards.

She has achieved what many didn't believe someone on the Autism Spectrum could achieve.  She leads the way for thousands of families, bringing hope to so many. 

THAT is who was at Buddy Boy's school on Thursday.  And it was fantastic meeting her and being able to talk with her.  She had a lot of very blunt, but incredibly helpful advice for all parents there, and I've already made changes to how we do some things with Buddy Boy as a result. 



These are a couple of pictures of her before the meeting actually began.  I also made video, but it was with my little phone and unfortunately, you can't really hear anything she's saying.  SOO, I'm going to borrow this video that the gal sitting next to me made.  It just happens to be the same thing that I had recorded, only The Autie Project made it MUCH better than I ever could have.


1 comment:

Ang said...

Way cool! I'd love to hear her speak. We loved the movie - it was an emotional one for me and I don't even have a child with autism!!