Thursday, August 16, 2012

Bear Lake, Part 2

I know there hasn't actually been a Bear Lake part ONE post, but that's because I wasn't there.  Clay will have to post that one.  This, however, is dedicated to sharing about our 2nd visit to the area, and I can actually provide some narration since I was there...

We weren't planning a second trip, but I got word about a family reunion, and since Clay just happened to have the Friday before off work, I thought it might be fun to make a mini vacation out of it.  We used the trailer that Clay's mom owns (thanks Marilyn!).

We spent the first day driving up and then at the pool.  It kept looking like it was going to storm, but it didn't really pick up until that evening, and oh my, it was awesome sitting on the deck looking at those clouds rolling in.  We'd already done our swimming, so the timing was good.:-)



The next day Clay took the kids swimming again, and then we went to the family reunion.  Lots of good food, good fun, and great people!  We stopped by my Grandma's and Grandpa's house to wash up.  While there we were given a bunch of bush cherries for me to make jam with, a currant berry plant, and a bunch of reunion leftovers!  The highlight was the kids feeding and watching the horses.





We went from there straight to Bear Lake.  We were going to go to the North side, and I really wish we had.  The south side was mucky...maybe I'm just a beach snob, but I wasn't thrilled about paying $8 to park and play in muck....bleh!  The kids had a lot of fun though, and so it was still worth it.





That night we watched some of the meteor shower.  The sky up at Bear Lake is so much more clear that where we live, and we could see so many stars!  It was so...magical.  We probably saw a shooting star each minute, and it was awesome.  Clay has some app on his phone that shows where the different constellations are located, and Munchkin LOVED using it and trying to make out constellations.

The next day we came home.  We stopped in the Logan Canyon just by the Bear Lake overlook point, and wandered around.  We didn't hike, but we explored the Lumber Pine Trail and took ten million or so pictures.



It was a good, fun little trip.  Bear Lake is close enough to not make us miserable traveling there, but far enough that it really feels like a getaway.  Gotta love it!

1 comment:

Blessed Rain said...

Looks like your camping was a ton of fun!
Sorry it took me so long to find your comment on home made bug spray.
Any size spray bottle works - 20-30 drops of oil depending on large or small bottle.
Its very simple - just make sure that the bottle is ONLY used for that as the oil seeps into the plastic and it will hold the smell forever!!!