Friday, July 13, 2007

South Paw



Parker uses his left hand for most things. I have never really cared if my child was left or right handed until I noticed Parker was left handed. I then began to think about the difficulties of it, like using scissors, right handed desks, writing letters, computer mouse etc. I then thought how I was going to incorporate a right handed program, like eating his cereal with his right hand, and teaching him to write with his right hand. After that concern left I thought, heck, who cares, he's in T-ville, he will love his left hand when it is time to play baseball.
~Clay

8 comments:

kam said...

being a south paw isn't so bad - after a while, you get used to having ink on your hands from writing the "wrong way" ;)

nM said...

Actually, everyone is born right-handed, only the truly gifted overcome it ...

kam said...

I like you NM ;) I will definitely be using that material!!!

Anonymous said...

You never know...he could turn out to be cross-dominate (favors one hand for some tasks and the other hand for others) Or, he could be ambidextrous. Only time will tell! ;)

On a more serious note: Heard some interesting research findings-- Attempting to convert a child's handedness (right to left or vice versa) causes cerebral disturbances i.e, memory loss, difficulty concentrating, etc. SCARY!! The things they study these days...amazing.

nM said...

I am cross-dominate. I throw right handed, write left handed and eat both handed (for speed).

Actually, I was told of some research (raise your eyebrow skeptically) that people who are cross-dominate likely had a traumatic childbirth and loss of oxygen to the brain for a period of time and thus the brain was "switching" handedness, but didn't complete it. Sounded kind of hokey to me, but who knows.

This is Us! said...

It does sound hokey, but I guess it would explain some stuff. LOL!!

nM said...

This got me to thinking and so I looked up the reference on the Earth's source of all truth ... wikipedia. Here is the link for those interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handedness

This is Us! said...

Wow, that's interesting stuff....thanks for posting, Nate!