Saturday, July 3, 2010

10 years later

Well, Clay and I recently celebrated our 10-year anniversary.  I was looking back, and had some random thoughts:

  • 10 years ago, we were making a lot more money than we are now.
  • 10 years ago, we had only 2 mouths to feed.
  • 10 years ago, we were a combined 30 lbs skinnier.
I could only think of one thing for now:
  • 10 years later, we are HAPPIER.


That really sums it up.

What have we learned and achieved in these 10 years?  The accomplishments may seem small, and many things that have happened are not unusual, but they really have added up to a more fulfilled life.

  • We've learned to garden (46 tomato plants this year!!!)
  • We've become more practical.  Don't believe me?  I got a food strainer for my anniversary gift and I LOVE IT!
  • We've lost loved ones.

  • We've gained loved ones.
  •  We've bought a home for our family.
  • We've FINALLY followed the prophet's counsel and built a food storage.
  • We've been humbled....big time!
  • We've learned how precious the simple things are...playdates at the park, baking fresh bread together, watching the kids eat from the garden, the sound of a baby laughing, the joy of watching our kids dance together, watching thunderstorms from the garage, and the days when Clay isn't working.
We've become a real-life, true FAMILY!!!!

The day of our anniversary was fabulous.  We started the day with pancakes and sausage.  I made them extra thin because Clay likes flat pancakes:-).  We exchanged gifts. Like I mentioned, Clay got me a strainer, and I got Clay a huge photo collage and a movie.
Later we took the kids to the playplace at Carl's Jr.  You know they loved that!  Clay surprised me by telling me he'd gotten the day off.  Oh yeah!!!
The kids drew us pictures as gifts, and they are oh, so sweet.  After lunch, we all took a nap.  Seriously, could it get any better than a nap???
That evening, we ate peas from the garden and hung out in the backyard.  We took some family pictures and played in sprinklers.  Munchkin had Clay help her set up a tarp.  She hung it up with rope so that it created an umbrella.  Then I helped her make a "Hawaii" sign, so that we could pretend we were at the beach.  We filled up the kiddie pool and the kids splashed away.

Here's to another amazing 10 years...

8 comments:

Natalia said...

So AWESOME! You guys are such a great family and there's so much love. Really, that's what it's all about. Congratulations on making 10 years and here's to a LIFETIME together!

nM said...

Happy anniversary you two. Can't believe it has been 10 years already.

Ry and Kris Jones said...

Happy Anniversary!! It doesn't seem possible that it's been ten years. I remember the day you came over to my house to tell me you'd gotten engaged. You were so giddy. It was so cute. You've had quite a life together. Happy Tenth!!!

kam said...

Happy Anniversary you guys! How cool is that? 10 years is an amazing accomplishment! Here's to the next 10!!!!

Ang said...

such cute pictures - it's fun to remember you both so young! happy 10 years! good luck with the next 10.....though I've heard if you can make it through the first 10 the rest is a breeze! haha!

Jennie said...

Congrats! May the next 10 be just as wonderful. (or better! :D )

mae said...

I know I am REALLY late but Happy 10th! That went by fast! Great post! I hope the next 10 is even better! Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have learned and gained a lot of love and knowledge the last 10 years. The kids are growing so fast, I even book marked your blog so Isaac can keep up with Akaila....we sure miss you guys!