Monday, May 14, 2012

Lucky Mom!

Yesterday was THE BEST day.

In years past, all I've wanted for Mother's Day was to take a nap.  Yesterday I did not want a nap, and I am so glad I didn't waste my day away sleeping.  Instead, I celebrated with those who made my dreams of becoming a mother come true.

Call me a sinner, but I didn't go to church yesterday.  Last year on Mother's Day, I was at church and Buddy Boy was having a tough time.  Not too bad, but he was a little ornery.  Some young men at the front of the church were also being kinda wiggly, and I thought it was funny to see.  The couple sitting directly behind my family also noticed the disruptive teenagers and the husband made a comment about it.  His wife replied, "well, at least they're not as bad as Buddy."  OUT LOUD!!!  FOR ME TO HEAR.  They compared my  then 4-year old son WITH AUTISM to the neuro-typical 16 YEAR OLDS, and insulted him.  I left church that day early with my boy and in tears.  I decided that this year I wanted to celebrate my kids, and not allow anyone to belittle them or me....

And so I took the kids on a hike instead.  It was fantastic!  We went up a little canyon that a friend took us to last week, and it was so much fun.  The post below with the two videos is of the wildlife that came to see us while we were there.  I didn't help the kids with much, if any, of the hike, and so Buddy Boy in particular had to work at it.  Munchkin was her usual in-shape, energetic self, and was proud to lead us up and down the trail.  The pride those kids felt after accomplishing the hike was so fun to see.

We were chock-full of endorphins afterwards, so we blasted some tunes on the drive home.  We enjoyed it so much that we decided to continue the music at home and we jammed and danced for an hour...which  ROCKED! (I have a video, but it's not exactly flattering of me, so I might spare you that one)


Later, we went to a local playground and had a good time running, rolling down hills, and the like.  I was exhausted by the end of the day, but oh, so happy!  I'm gonna plan a full day with the kids every Mother's Day from now on.  No more naps for me:)

2 comments:

Natalia said...

Awesome!!! I'm so happy you had a great day with your kids yesterday - you all deserve it!

Ang said...

you SINNER!! Totally kidding. I didn't go to church either. I spent it with my mama and my kids too! Glad you had a lovely mother's day!