Sunday, September 4, 2011

Filming The New Testament

So, I signed up to be an extra for the church's filming of the New Testament.  A long time ago. Turns out that another 10,000+ other people did too. So, I was quite surprised (pleasantly!) to get a phone call last Monday night from LDS  Casting, asking me if I'd be willing to come in and film on Thursday.  I was able to work out Clay's work and babysitters so that I could go.  I later got a call asking me to come Wednesday as well, but was unable to rearrange things for two days.

Anyway, I received an email at 9:30 Wednesday night informing me of the call time.  I was to be in Goshen, UT by 7:00 am Thursday morning.  I won't lie, I was worried about the early morning, since Tuesday night I started feeling sick. And get this:  I felt good the entire day of filming, until driving home.  The cold has taken hold since.  I just somehow managed to skip a day. Just try and tell me that's not a miracle!

I was up at 5:00 am and on the road at 5:20. Upon arrival, I was ushered into a tent that I would be sharing with 250 others.  I was among the first of the extras called to wardrobe, and so I didn't really know what to expect.  What I found was incredible.  I was assigned at "African Temple Background", and was given sandals, and outfit, hair, makeup, and jewelry.  The outfit I was given was not exactly modest...but I suppose it fit the time period!  How ironic that I had to show my temple recommend to be in the film, and almost immediately afterward was given clothing that I couldn't even wear my garments with!  Heck, I couldn't even wear my bra completely. My dress was sleeveless on one side and it came down under my arm on the other side, leaving me a nice, bare shoulder.  It also came above my knees.  I tried bargaining for something different (Are you sure you want me in this?  My arms are pretty flabby!).  Didn't work.  :-)

Anyway, I received my clothing and went to change, after which I was sent to hair and makeup.  I was given a plain turban-style wrap over my head, covering my hair completely.  At makeup, I was told that I was way too light and would be washed out, so they darkened me up.  That was definitely a first in Utah!  Although seeing everyone else that was African background, I can see why.  I didn't exactly look the part until they darkened me.  They covered me in a dark stain from head to toe.  It was nice having an instant tan, but it was a shock looking at my face!

Walking back into the extras tent was pretty cool.  Being one of the first ones put in costume, I got a lot of stares.  And yes, I loved it. I felt like a star!  (It doesn't take much to make me feel special.)  As time went by, we started seeing more and more costumes, and it was incredible.  The Roman soldiers walking around were my favorite, but there were also pharisees, temple guards, Jewish men and women, Africans, and Persians. The Persians received really fancy bright clothing, and they got makeup. I got a lot of pictures, but can't post them...contract!:-)

After a while, we were taken to the set, and my gosh, it was incredible.  I mean, how many people can say they've visited Jerusalem? How many can say they've seen ANCIENT Jerusalem? It was just like being there.  The man playing Jesus was on set also, and people were so excited to see him!  Initially, I thought it seemed a little silly, these hundreds of starstruck people. But as the day went on, I began to see him differently.  Not as an actor who was playing an amazing part, but as a representative of the Savior.  I mean, you have to understand.  Standing on set with hundreds of others, ALL of whom are dressed and playing parts just like me, it began to feel as if I was REALLY there...as if the Savior was truly walking among us, cleansing the temple!  And so, when we wrapped and left the set for the day, I was so thrilled to have the chance to exchange a few words with this man (his real name is John). One of the other extras waved at him, and later said he could cross "meet Jesus" off his bucket list....ha ha!

But before the wrap, we filmed two scenes.  Yes, two scenes total, and it was a 12.5 hour day!  If that isn't testament to the detail that has to go into filming, I don't know what is.  For the first scene, we were walking through the temple where the money changers were, the animals, and everyone else, when suddenly we heard a crash and ran off, scared.  The crew members didn't tell us that anything was going to crash, so when it happened, my response was not acted. In fact, I jumped and looked back, and then panicked, thinking I'd screwed up.  But no, that was exactly what they wanted!

The second scene was an extension of the first, but just from a different angle, and a little further into the cleansing of the temple.  They were filming people running and scattering out of the temple while the Pharisees challenged Jesus.  They sent me off at the end of the scene, as one of the stragglers still running around.  They then ended the scene with the sheep scattered, tables overturned, the temple empty of people and everything, except for Christ and one perfect little lamb. The poor lamb was scared to death...all of his sheep friends had taken off running and he had to stay!

Speaking of the lamb, it was awesome working with animals on scene!  I loved it.  On set were donkeys, pigeons, sheep, and doves. There were two camels there too, but they weren't on set.

Anyway, that's the gist of my day.  I won't lie, it was hot in the sun, and physically I was not comfortable in the outfit I had.  But the day was about so much more!  Too see the camaraderie among people was inspirational. People from all over the world (literally, there were people from as far away as Ghana!!), all walks of life, all ages, coming together.  I shared friendships with so many people.  At the end, some gals asked me how old I was, and were shocked to hear how old I am (31 if anyone is interested). As we took turns guessing each others' ages, it struck me that these were people who I may not necessarily be friends with in the real world.  We are different ages, have different interests, different styles, and so much more.  Yet that day, we were simply humans, all grateful for the opportunity to celebrate our Savior's love and life.  Friends. Brothers and sisters.

I'll never forget that feeling of unity.  I'll never forget the feeling of walking the streets of Jerusalem, as the Savior walked among us. It was...I can't even think of an accurate word for it. Amazing?  Awesome? Awe inspiring? All I know is, I want to carry the feeling with me.  Forever.

4 comments:

Tifanie Findlay said...

That sounds like a ton of fun! Kelvin just informed me that you have been an extra several times. My grandparents own a pretty awesome barn in Layton that has been in several movies and TV shows that I have got to be an extra in. It is so much fun!

Real said...

Sigh... I want to go back and do it all over again. What a neat experience!

mae said...

That is so rad! I'm SOOO glad you got to do that! What an awesome experience!! I hope that we'll get to do one of these together someday! Thanks for sharing with us!! love you!

Jennie said...

Sounds awesome! I hope one day I can see what you looked like.