Well, today was a tough day. I took Buddy Boy to an appointment for an autism study. This study was for all kids born in 2006 that go to the medical center we go to, nothing worrisome about it neccesarily.
It was this 2-hour evaluation where a group of 4 people, some doctors, etc, observed him and played with him while I watched from the corner. Most the time Buddy Boy was in the corner with me though...everyone who knows him knows he's SO shy.
Anyway, at the end of the evaluation, the doctor told me that she thinks he has autism. It is NOT an official diagnosis, and we have to schedule a more in-depth evaluation to get a diagnosis, but she said there were a lot of red flags that she saw. One of the workers there called me when I got home cause I was so upset when we left. She told me that this doctor specializes specifically in diagnoses of young kids like our son, and so she really knows what she's talking about.
We won't know for sure for awhile, because there is quite a long waiting list for the affordable evaluation. (If I didn't want to wait, it would cost $1,000!) So we'll not know yet, but in the meantime we are supposed to start some intervention and behavior therapy for him.
I'm kinda freaking out. I'm so scared of my baby being looked at differently his whole life, of him feeling like he's different or doesn't belong. Please, please keep him in your prayers. If it turns out that he does have autism, there are a lot of things we can do for him, but I honestly don't care whether he has it or not right now. I just want him to feel like he fits in, to know that he's loved. The best shot we have at it right now is to start intervention right away, and hope for the best.
8 comments:
He is definatley in our prayers! Make sure you keep us posted. We all love him no matter what, he is such a cutie!! Love you all!
I will keep you in my prayers too. My oldest has PDD which is on the autism spectrum. We caught it early and because of speech therapy and other therapies she is doing well. She does have meltdowns still so sometimes the other kids look at her differently, but our community is so small that everyone looks out for her and the kids are all really nice to her. I promise that everything will be okay!
We will pray for you for sure. I am not understanding how they can tell. Cordon was really slow at speaking. So I am wondering what the signs are that make them think that he has autism? Email me I am very curious.
brfindlay0801@yahoo.com
We love and miss you guys!!!
If there is anyone who can handle this, its you two! I know when you feel strongly about something, you go all the way! I know that you'll put your heart and soul into caring and nurturing him! He is lucky to have you guys on his team! :)
I'm so glad you shared this. You will be in are prayers for sure. Keep us posted. We love you guys and pray for the best.
I am so glad that you shared this too. We will definately be praying. Parker is an amazing kid and he can handle anything life throws at him, so can you guys. If it does turn out to be that, thank goodness there have been so many stides made in autism now and so many resources out there! Love you guys,z
Evelyn, you've been tagged!! go to my blog site and follow the directions. Have Fun!
We will pray for you guys too. Keep us posted.
Post a Comment